The sheer intensity that a creative person can prevent themselves from creating is astounding. I have found myself floating on the web from one site to another to prevent myself from writing, thinking myself blocked. I have also found myself completely wrapped up in trash television to avoid the blank page or the next project that I know I want to create.
I do not believe that it is a block. I believe it is the fear or not believing in yourself enough to know you have greatness in you. I believe it is more about pushing past the fear to your creative soul than it is to unblocking it.
Today I have set a goal for myself to write as much as I can just to see what I am capable of. I feel the fear and anxiety creeping in. I know that if I let it, I won't achieve my goal. Here are some of the things I have done to push past it.
- Create a list of twenty-six phrases, off the top of your head, to start paragraphs or pages with.
- Make a list (at least 30) of your favorite words and keep it to the right of your screen to look at as you write.
- Allow yourself to write nonsense; pages and pages of nonsense.
- Write down every reason why you think you can not write then burn it.
- Write what would happen if you wrote a best seller.
- Create a story about your childhood with an imaginary friend, whether you had one or not.
- Write a different ending to a story from your childhood that didn't turn out the way you wanted.
- Write a story about a moment in your childhood that felt empowering.
- Write a forgiveness piece forgiving everyone in your life that you feel hurt you and forgive yourself for any that you have hurt.
- Set goals, if I write for this amount of time or this amount of words then I can (fill in the blank).
- Use a different writing tool. If you always type, write with a pen. If you always use a pen use a pencil, use a crayon even. See how different you write with different tools. Do you tap into your inner child when you use the crayons?
- Dance to your favorite music then write for at least an hour, repeat.
Your soul yearns for you to do what you love. If you are not doing it then you are sleep walking through life. Wake up and do what you love now. It is in remembering your authentic creativity that is a key element in your journey to wholeness. What are you waiting for, permission? Love yourself enough to do what is important to feed your soul today.
*Previously posted on Shadow Rhythms I wrote this before I created A Writer's Universe and before I submerged myself into this writing life.